Monday, January 18, 2010

"Why... just follow the path Alice"- a lesson in Continuance


This one of the more difficult ones for me to do, why? I hate giving people what they expect. Its in my bones to leave others with a sense of confusion to mull over to gain a better understanding of themselves. Where's the satisfaction of establishing a predictable pattern that the mind can follow. But believing however that it is important to do the things you don't like to grasp more about yourself as an artist, the significance of learning the contiunace properly is that you can manipulate the viewers mind path to achieve a sense of completion or not, this concept when used creatively can do both. To the right I followed a basic pattern but still wanted to dynamically increase the size for the following BANG! Maybe I should have done it bigger? To the left I kept on with the same idea, I wanted each sequential dot to be 20x the size of the preceding one, I absolutely loved it. Henry Flott not so much when he looked at it he remarked that he preferred a gradual change in size. I of course am not so much of a people pleaser, but I am glad to know that I am getting the mixed reviews. Next I went simple very simple, I wanted to see the effect of a simple pattern predictable. Or maybe? I intended a semicircle and to allow the mind to finish it but what one can see will depend on them now won't it? The last one? Well I just ran out of ideas really, but I still went with something I believed that people could follow and decided on their own what to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment