Monday, January 18, 2010

"Confirmation Conformation"- a lesson in Similarity


I believe something can be said about spatial reasoning with relation to size. I like to see things that don't make sense put together to explain a new reasoning in what it means to make sense of the patterns our brains put together. I wanted these dots to not have to much in common and if they did it was rather deliberate. I notice that my similarity won't look to different than my proximity probbably because my first and foremost goal was to create in each square not something that only adheres to concepts but something that stimulate my mind as well. In order to create a more dynamic composition you often have to fully utilize more that one principle, so I found it rather hard to stick to one at a time, and even when I was finished with one I would find that it could easily be interchangeable with other concepts i.e. the example to the left. While goal in this was actually lack of similarity I recall only two of the dots being the exact same in size but with the spatial composition the sizes between the smaller dots look the same even though they are not exact. To the right, a magnetic pull is what was my driving force as I did this one. I myself was wondering why is that dot all the way out there by itself? But I guess the question itself is much deeper than the possible answers to it. The next one seems rather simple to me yet I still do like the variation in size in the corner. The last one is an explanation to my facisnation with the slight deviation of what I might expect. I didn't want it centered, but not so far near the edge, I also didn't want that big dot floating in the middle ground in between. I wanted something new from the rest of the pieces, so I off centered it. Whether I was successful will be up to the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment